Sunday, April 1, 2012

Why We Should All Be "Second"

Revelations 12:11 states that, “They overcame by the Blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony.”  I Am Second: Real Stories Changing Lives is definitely a book about and for overcoming all obstacles and experience the life-transforming power of the Almighty and His Son, Jesus Christ.  This book is a collection of stories of notable people from different walks of life and how their lives were changed by an encounter with Jesus.  These stories are real, gripping, true-life narratives of how different famous people overcame various problems to the glory of God. 

These stories are powerful yet polished.  Sometimes, I felt they were a little too polished and perfectly presented.  While I did enjoy reading them, it feels like there is a lot of production that went into writing them to the point that some of the power of these personal stories can be missed.  Most of the stories, I was able to find a video counterpart on the I Am Second website, and these stories reflect the same production that the videos received.  Overall, the book was alright.  I teach high school English and have recommended this book to a couple of my students.

I received my copy of this book for free through the publisher, Thomas Nelson, in return for writing a review over it and its contents.  I was not required to give a favorable; the opinions stated are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment