Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Need a Shot (of Faith)?

     "There is little to no evidence for God, and so Christians are forced to take what refuge they can in a feeble, sometimes fleeting faith."  From the onset, one gets the impression that Dr. Stokes is going to address some pretty pointed critiques of the Christian faith, and that is exactly what A Shot of Faith (to the Head) is.  In this book contains some of the most practical deconstructions and point-by-point analysis of the discourse midst various prominent atheists and neo-atheists of our day and the theologian's rebuttal.  This book does a great job of giving even-handed treatment to points that the author obviously feels are faulted and wrong, without indicting or ridiculing the other party for their seeming lack of fair assessment of the situations.
     Where I find that this book lacks (if there is a place), is that I feel like a lot of this is just retread ground.  I didn't find really any new or exciting points to ponder, whether in the theist's rebuttal, or the original atheist's argument.  Much of this book seemed to be stuff that I had already read in other places; I will give Dr. Stokes the tip of the hat for consolidating it and making it a concise narrative for the reader to follow.
     Overall, this book is suitable for anyone with a mind for academic discourse who wants to enrich his or her ongoing conversation in the existence of a deity.  This book is an enjoyable read with many deep points to consider.

I received my copy of the book free from the publisher.  I was not required to write a positive review about the book; my opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment