Thursday, March 3, 2011

Easter.Odd

"...it's also true that Easter does have a tendency to bring out a Christian's spiritual gift of odd."
     -Matthew Paul Turner, from his article "The Hunt for Easter" in the March/April 2011 Relevant.

I guess I've never really thought about the extra "umph" that we give to Easter as "odd."  Maybe that was because I've grown up in it and that's what I'm used to, but the more and more I think about it, there are some pretty weird things that Christians do to celebrate Easter.  Now, I'm not going to try and summarize Turner's article from Relevant because he did a great job in writing it.  I'm just going to say that I agree with him.

As Christians, Easter is an odd holiday.  It's the day when we celebrate a man rising from the dead after being gone for two days already.  This separates us from any other world religion; the fact that it really happened should make us the only religion, but that's beside the point.

We're getting ready to head into the season where we celebrate Easter and I say let's just be odd.  Period.  Don't wait for Easter Sunday, do something radical now!

No comments:

Post a Comment